Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (DMS)
Diagnostic medical sonographers perform sonography also known as ultrasound. Ultrasound is a widely used imaging technique applied in the field of medicine which helps to examine human bodies by producing internal body images. It is effective in diagnosing and treating patients. The DMS program helps to give an in-depth understanding of the technology and processes involved in sonography/ultrasound.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS)
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS), also called ultrasound, is a diagnostic modality used for medical imaging procedures. It is a powerful tool that can offer a wealth of information about the human body. DMS is performed by using a specialized scanner called transducer which is connected with the ultrasound machine. The transducer, after attaching to the skin, produces high frequency sound waves which are transmitted into the human body. These ultrasound waves reflect from organs, body fluids & different tissues densities to the transducer. From transducer the sound waves are then transformed into images on the screen of ultrasound machine. These ultrasound images provide valuable information for diagnosing and treating variety of diseases. It also helps in observing and visualizing the condition & behavior of the fetus in utero (before birth). Therefore ultrasound has become the most widely used imaging modality in modern medicine and it will continue to expand. The DMS Program offers an in-depth explanation of how DMS works.
- Learn how to operate the machine
- Learn how to enter patient information
- Learn how to adjust depth measurement
- Learn how to adjust frequency
- Learn how to demonstrate indicator orientation
- Learn how to save images
- Learn how to establish objective criteria
- Learn how to position the patient for the specific test
- Learn the basic introduction to accreditation bodies
- Learn the standards for ultrasound QC (quality control)
Occupational Outlook and Wage Statistics from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (Click Here)
To Learn More About Our Advanced Training Equipment Please Visit The Link Below:
DMS Information from Careeronestop.com (Click Here)
Visit our Youtube channel for information on our DMS program (Click Here)
Learn more about Diagnostic Medical Sonographers by watching the videos below:
A Certificate of Completion will be awarded to those students who will successfully complete all required courses as per college’s Satisfactory Academic Requirements and fulfill their financial obligation towards the college.
To become eligible to challenge national certification exam in Sonography through ARRT, students have to complete the following requirements:
- Complete Stellar Career College’s ARRT-recognized educational program in Sonography.
- Must demonstrate competency in formal classroom education (didactic coursework), and program’s clinical requirements.
- Complete an associate (or higher) degree, in any subject, from an educational institution accredited by an agency ARRT recognizes. You may earn the degree at any time—before, after, or while you complete an educational program in your discipline.
- ARRT enforces high standards of ethics and professional conduct. Students must comply with everything in the ARRT Standards of Ethics, including the Rules of Ethics. You must notify ARRT of any ethics violations within 30 calendar days of their occurrence, Applicants who don’t follow these rules might become ineligible. Several types of misconduct, charges, and convictions may violate ARRT’s Rules of Ethics. For further details on this matter, please refer to ARRT’s handbook that is available at www.arrt.org
- Applicants must complete an application for admission
- Applicants should schedule an appointment for an application interview
- Applicants must complete a nationally recognized basic skills assessment or have a High School diploma.
- Applicants must complete and sign an enrollment agreement
The College will offer this program in on-ground format as well as in hybrid format in which students can take up to 45% of the courses using online delivery method.
BIO101 Basic Medical Terminology
BIO 102 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
BIO103 Fundamentals of Pharmacology
BIO 104 Healthcare Laws and Ethics
BIO 105 Patient Care in Imaging
BIO 106 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
BIO 107 Imaging Pathology
DMS 111 Fundamentals of Sonography I
DMS 112 Sonographic Imaging I
DMS 113 Ultrasound Physics I
DMS 114 Fundamentals of Sonography II
DMS 115 Sonographic Imaging II
DMS 116 Ultrasound Physics II
DMS 121 Externship I
DMS 122 Externship II