Echocardiography / Noninvasive Cardiovascular Sonographer
Echocardiography is also known as Non-invasive Cardiovascular Sonography (NICVS) is involved in medical imaging of the heart and blood vessels. This program provides information related to the functioning of the heart and blood vessels. NICVS makes it easier to diagnose heart diseases. This program gives an understanding of how the technology involved in Echocardiography works.
Echocardiography / Noninvasive Cardiovascular Sonographer
Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Sonography (NICVS), also called Echocardiography (or Echo), is a diagnostic modality used for medical imaging of heart & blood vessels. It is a powerful tool that can offer a wealth of information about the human heart and peripheral blood vessels. Echocardiography (cardiac ultrasound) is performed by using a specialized scanner called transducer (or probe) which is connected with the echo machine. The transducer, after attaching to the skin of the chest, produces high frequency sound waves (ultrasound) which are transmitted into the human body. These ultrasound waves reflect from heart/blood vessels to the transducer. From transducer the sound waves are then transformed into images on the screen of echo machine. These cardiovascular images provide valuable information for diagnosing and treating variety of heart and blood vessels diseases. Therefore Cardiovascular Sonography has become the most widely used imaging modality in modern medicine and it will continue to expand. The Program offers an in-depth explanation of how Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Sonography works.
Echocardiography / Noninvasive Cardiovascular Sonographer Program at Stellar Career College in Chicago
Stellar Career College offers a comprehensive echocardiography program in Chicago, focusing on the in-depth training and education required to become a proficient echocardiography technician. This echocardiography certificate program is designed to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in the field of pediatric cardiac sonography and other specialized areas of echocardiography.
Students enrolled in Stellar Career College's echocardiography certificate program receive exceptional cardiac sonographer schooling, complete with hands-on echo tech training to ensure they're prepared for the echo technician certification exam. This program is ideal for individuals seeking to advance their careers in the healthcare field and make a meaningful impact on patients' lives. Echocardiography graduates from Stellar Career College can specialize in pediatric cardiac sonography, adult echocardiography, doppler echocardiography, contrast echocardiography, and stress echocardiograph and others.
What is Echocardiography?
Echocardiography is a diagnostic imaging technique that uses ultrasound technology to create detailed images of the heart's structure and function. It is a vital tool for diagnosing, monitoring, and treating various heart conditions, such as valvular diseases, congenital heart defects, and heart failure. Echocardiography is a non-invasive and painless procedure, making it a preferred choice for many healthcare professionals and patients.
Types of Echocardiography
Echocardiography is a versatile diagnostic tool, and there are several types that professionals in the field should be familiar with:
- Transthoracic echocardiography (TTE): The most common type, TTE involves placing an ultrasound probe on the chest to capture images of the heart.
- Transesophageal echocardiography (TEE): In TEE, an ultrasound probe is inserted through the patient's esophagus to obtain detailed images of the heart.
- Stress echocardiography: This test combines exercise or medication-induced stress with echocardiography to assess the heart's function under stress conditions.
- Doppler echocardiography: Utilizes Doppler technology to measure blood flow velocities and direction within the heart and blood vessels.
- Three-dimensional (3D) echocardiography: Produces detailed 3D images of the heart's structure, enhancing the diagnosis and treatment of heart conditions.
- Contrast echocardiography: Involves injecting a contrast agent into the bloodstream to enhance the visualization of blood flow and heart structures.
Stellar Career College's echocardiography program covers all these types, ensuring that students are well-equipped to handle various diagnostic situations.
What is Noninvasive cardiovascular sonography?
Noninvasive cardiovascular sonography is a broader term that encompasses echocardiography and other ultrasound-based imaging techniques used to examine the heart and blood vessels. These imaging procedures are noninvasive, meaning they do not require any incisions or injections into the body. Noninvasive cardiovascular sonography plays a critical role in diagnosing and managing a wide range of cardiovascular diseases.
Professionals in this field, such as echocardiography technicians and cardiovascular ultrasound techs, receive specialized training through programs like Stellar College's echocardiography certificate program.
- Learn how to operate the machine
- Learn how to enter patient information
- Learn how to adjust depth measurement
- Learn how to adjust frequency
- Learn how to demonstrate indicator orientation
- Learn how to save images
- Learn how to establish objective criteria
- Learn how to position the patient for the specific test
- Learn the basic introduction to accreditation bodies
- Learn the standards for ultrasound QC (quality control)
Occupational Outlook and Wage Statistics from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (Click Here)
Echocardiography/Non-invasive Cardiovascular Sonographer Information From Careeronestop (Click Here)
Visit Our Youtube Channel To Learn More About Our Echocardiography/Non-invasive Cardiovascular Sonographer Program (Click Here)
Learn more about Echocardiography/Non-invasive Cardiovascular Sonographers in the video below:
A diploma will be awarded to those students who will successfully complete all required courses as per college’s Satisfactory Academic Requirements and fulfill their financial obligation towards the college.
To become eligible to challenge national certification exam to become Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) through Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI), students have to complete the following requirements:
- Complete Stellar Career College’s Echocardiography / Noninvasive Cardiovascular Sonographer.
- Must demonstrate competency in formal classroom education (didactic coursework), and program’s clinical requirements.
- CCI enforces high standards of ethics and professional conduct. Students must comply with everything in the CCI Standards of Ethics, including the Rules of Ethics. You must notify CCI of any ethics violations within 30 calendar days of their occurrence, Applicants who don’t follow these rules might become ineligible. Several types of misconduct, charges, and convictions may violate CCI’s Rules of Ethics. For further details on this matter, please refer to CCI’s handbook that is available at https://cci-online.org.
- Applicants must complete an application for admission
- Applicants should schedule an appointment for an application interview
- Applicants must complete a nationally recognized basic skills assessment or have a High School diploma
- Applicants must complete and sign an enrollment agreement
The College will offer this program in on-ground format as well as in hybrid format in which students can take up to 45% of the courses using online delivery method.
BIO101 Basic Medical Terminology
CCT101 Cardiotech I
BIO103 Fundamentals of Pharmacology
BIO 104 Healthcare Laws and Ethics
BIO 105 Patient Care in Imaging
CCT102 Cardiotech II
BIO 107 Imaging Pathology
ECO 111 Fundamentals of Echocardiography I
ECO 112 Sonographic Imaging I
ECO 113 Ultrasound Physics I
ECO 114 Fundamentals of Echocardiography II
ECO 115 Sonographic Imaging II
ECO 116 Ultrasound Physics II
ECO 121 Externship I
ECO 122 Externship II
Contact us to find which course is the best fit for you
Fill out the request form below
Give us a call at
We look forward to helping to decide which program is right for you
Graduates of Stellar Career College's echocardiography program can pursue various career opportunities, including working in hospitals, clinics, and private practices as:
- Echocardiography Technicians
- Pediatric Cardiac Sonographers
- Fetal Echo Technicians
- Cardiovascular Ultrasound Technicians
- Cardiac Ultrasound Technicians
Echocardiography Job Description
An echocardiography technician, also known as an echocardiographer or cardiac sonographer, is a healthcare professional who specializes in using ultrasound technology to create images of the heart's structure and function. They play a crucial role in diagnosing, monitoring, and treating various heart conditions. The following is a general job description for an echocardiography technician:
- Perform various types of echocardiography exams, including transthoracic echocardiography, stress echocardiography, doppler echocardiography, and contrast echocardiography, based on the patient's needs and physician's orders.
- Prepare patients for the echocardiography procedure by explaining the process, addressing any concerns, and ensuring their comfort throughout the exam.
- Operate and maintain advanced echocardiography machine equipment to acquire high-quality images of the heart, while adhering to established safety protocols and guidelines.
- Analyze the echocardiogram images to assess the heart's function, such as chamber size, wall motion, and blood flow patterns, and identify any abnormalities or signs of disease.
- Collaborate with physicians and other healthcare team members to discuss findings, provide recommendations, and develop appropriate treatment plans for patients.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date patient records, including echocardiogram images, measurements, and exam reports.
Stay current on the latest advancements in the field of echocardiography and participate in continuing education programs to enhance professional knowledge and skills.
The requirement to become an Echocardiographer
- Completion of an accredited echocardiography program or cardiac sonographer schooling, such as Stellar Career College's echocardiography certificate program.
- National certification in echocardiography, such as the echo technician certification from the Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) or American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).
- Strong technical skills and proficiency in operating echocardiography equipment, including knowledge of echocardiography normal values and techniques.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively explain procedures to patients and collaborate with healthcare team members.
- Attention to detail and critical thinking abilities to analyze echocardiogram images and identify potential issues.
- Compassion and empathy to provide a comfortable and supportive environment for patients during the echocardiography procedure.
By fulfilling these responsibilities and requirements, an echocardiography technician plays a vital role in the diagnosis and management of cardiovascular diseases, contributing to improved patient outcomes and overall heart health.
Salaries Table for Echocardiography Graduates
|Job Title||Average Salary|
|Echocardiography Tech Salary||$65,000|
|Pediatric Echocardiography Salary||$75,000|
|Fetal Echocardiography Salary||$80,000|
Please note that these figures are for illustrative purposes and may vary depending on factors such as experience, certifications, and location.
1: Is ECG and echocardiography the same?
No, ECG (electrocardiogram) measures the electrical activity of the heart, while echocardiography uses ultrasound to create images of the heart's structure and function.
2: Is echocardiogram and echocardiography the same?
Yes, echocardiogram is the image created by the echocardiography procedure.
3: Is echocardiography a good career?
Yes, echocardiography is a rewarding career with a strong job outlook and competitive salaries.
4: Is echocardiography radiology?
Echocardiography is a sub-specialty within the broader field of diagnostic medical sonography.
5: What is an Echo Technologist?
An Echo Technologist, also known as an echocardiography technician, is a healthcare professional trained to use ultrasound technology to produce images of the heart's structure and function for diagnostic purposes.
6: How to Become an Echo Technologist?
To become an Echo Technologist, one must complete a specialized training program, such as the one offered by Stellar Career College, and obtain relevant certification.